Do you remember the Bonus Campaign with Rexxar from Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne? This was Blizzard’s attempt to make a roleplaygame out of Warcraft. Leveling your hero, solving quests and changing locations. You could travel to a cave and help Goblins or to an Arena and always travel back to the main map. This allowed the campaign to use multiple maps with different tilesets and a world which could have had an unlimited size!
Since The Power of Fire is primarily a multiplayer mod you cannot change the map when playing with friends. However, it provides a single player campaign and the upcoming release 0.8 will support those so called map transitions. After completing Chapter 1: Talras in singleplayer, you can travel to another map and again another map and always travel back to the map Talras. Two new maps will be added where you can fight different enemies and see completely different locations.
Traveling back is no problem at all and all your attributes and resources will be stored and restored in every map.
The new maps continue the story from a different point of view. You will see some Demon locations and the enemy behind the invasion. Thanks to the user Heinvers from Hive Workshop for creating the terrain of the second Demon map:
For a later version I plan to finally add Chapter 3: Holzbruck, the actual destionation of our characters from Talras:
Besides release 0.8 will include many more updates:
- The Druid is allowed to use his normal class spells when transformed into an animal (Bear and Crow).
- Many Druid spells got fixed and improved.
- The Druid’s bear form can swim now.
- The Druid’s ultimate forest castle can move and fight now.
- The Necromancer finally gets his missing ultimate 1 spell.
- The Knight finally gets his missing spell.
- The Ranger gets his missing ultimate spell as well.
- Class attributes are more balanced (class Knight was much weaker and the attributes per level were not equally fair).
- Tree transparency works everywhere where the player focuses his view, not only for specific units.
- Custom music is used.
- Deranor’s dungeon is finished.
- Ricman’s spells work and can be learned by everyone now.
- Arena opponents are shown next to the arena now.
- Fixed inventory while riding a sheep.
- More video sequences of the main plot are implemented and improved. Therefore the story telling in the map Talras is complete now.
- Auto skill is done when repicking the class in the Arena map. The player does not have to reskill everything which would take too much time.
- Fixed moving computer players in Arena map.
- New loading screens for all maps.
- Much more dialogues are translated into English.
- Much more dialogues of NPCs have sound recordings.
- Fixed and added daily routines of NPCs.
- More balanced prices for items.
- Many spells are more balanced and have graphical effects and sound effects now.
- You can have multiple wifes and children when constructing a home.
- Many many bugfixes.
Hopefully, I can focus more on the English translation and sound recordings for Talras now. I will probably record the main character myself if I can’t find anyone. Since the balancing of items and classes is important for all maps, this will also get more and more improvements over the time. But I’d like to concentrate on the other chapters now. Talras has its own big story and I will cetrainly fix all bugs in this map, too but since it got around 52 quests, 31 NPCs with dialogues and 30 video sequences there is not much to add.
The modular system allowed me already to easily create the Arena map and the initial creation of chapter 2 and chapter 2.1 was no problem at all. It is time to continue the journey of our characters and to see the other side of the war: The Dark Elves, Orcs, Undead and Demons. It would be great if players could choose which faction they want to follow when playing the singleplayer campaign.
Another thing which helps promoting this mod is a good Let’s Play. The singleplayer campaign should allow you to play it on yourself and to save your state at the end of every Let’s Play video. Maybe I will get time for this, too and start some singleplayer Let’s Play.